Monday, October 28, 2013

Get Ready to Wriiiimooooo!

Nice chain.

I'm sure I'm not the first blogger to use that title.

November 1st is fast approaching--a little too fast--somebody make it stop! It's not that I don't love the Day of the Dead, but this year it marks the start of quite an undertaking: my first attempt at Nanowrimo.

I'm sure some of you are veterans of National Novel Writing Month, and are scoffing at my panic even now (preferably chewing on a cigar, scotch in hand: "Welcome to the frontlines, kiddo.") For those of you who aren't, Nanowrimo is an event in which hundreds of thousands of novelists agree to write 50,000 words in thirty days. That's 1,667 words a day, for those of you who don't like math (such as myself).

I'm a fast writer when I'm motivated, and I'm excited to finish my third manuscript, which is only 10,000 words in. But I've also been editing The Frozen Witch like a madwoman for the last month, trying to get her ship-shape before the start of November. It's left me a little burnt out, especially because it looks like I won't even have a few days to rest between this last novel and the next one.

Still, I've been waiting for YEARS to try my hand at Nanowrimo, and by gum, it's finally going to happen. I've got a profile on the site (http://nanowrimo.org/) and some great ideas and, hey, it's only thirty days. As my Korean students would say, "Figh-TING!"*

Is anybody else doing Nanowrimo? I'd love to hear about your projects!

* That's Konglish. Rough translation: "You can do it!"

3 comments:

  1. Yay! I'm doing a non-fiction challenge that is similar, but not being a joiner, I am not registering with any forum (which, knowing me, I would then proceed to ignore), I'm just setting reasonable goals and telling my RL writerly friends.
    So good luck to us all!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha yes, I used to do it. in fact, that's why my user name is what it is. I love these sorts of things. I did the 3-day novel writing contest too. But it doesn't seem like its ever going to happen again...Novembers are always the busiest at work. It's going to be late hours in the office for me. I'll be living vicariously through you as you embark on your journey. best of luck to you!!!

    ReplyDelete